Friday, March 9, 2012

The Convenience of My Story



            I once read an admittedly trashy historical romance which included, in a short preface, the following scholarly author’s note:

            “I have changed the date of the last Jacobite uprising from 1745 to 1741 for the convenience of my story.”

            Years later, I am still trying to recover from the stupefaction I felt on reading this, and particularly with the author’s bland assumption that this would be perfectly all right with the rest of us.  I like to imagine applying this world view to other announcements in other circumstances:

            “I have lowered the net six inches for the convenience of my tennis game.”

            “I have altered the amount on the line “taxes owed” for the convenience of my checking account.

            As a writer of historical fiction myself, and one who was, at the time, working on a novel also set in Scotland in the eighteenth century, I have a fair amount of sympathy for the difficulty of knowing how much to invent and how much must be absolutely historically accurate.  You don’t want history to be a straight jacket on the imagination, and you don’t want to fall so much in love with research that it gets in the way of the story.  But there are some basic rules in writing historical fiction that can’t be broken with impunity, and one of them is that you don't change the basic major historical events with which a lot of people are already familiar.

If this lady couldn’t make the 1745 date work, she needed to rework her story.  Doing anything else is just lazy – cheating, really, just like the rule-breaking in my two examples.  In doing so, she showed that she had no respect for history and no respect for me (or her other readers).  After all, people like to think they learn a little something from historical fiction and don’t want to embarrass themselves when they visit Culloden field by announcing that Bonny Prince Charley was there in 1741, when actually he was still fooling around in France.  The tour guide will laugh at them.  An author’s likely to lose readers that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment